Recent Context :
- On 5 July 2021, Union Minister for Education Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal 'Nishank' virtually launched a National Initiative for Proficiency in Reading with Understanding and Numeracy (NIPUN Bharat) .
About Nipun Bharat Programme
- Nipun is an initiative of the Ministry of Education and it will be implemented by the Department of School Education and Literacy.
- It will be headed by a Mission Director.
Why was it launched
- The National Mission which has been launched under the aegis of the centrally sponsored scheme of Samagra Shiksha, will focus on providing access and retaining children in foundational years of schooling : teacher capacity building, development of high quality and diversified student and teacher resources / learning materials and tracking the progress of each child in achieving learning outcomes.
Target of this initiative :
- Its target is to ensure that every child in the country necessarily attains foundational literary and numeracy by the end of grade 3 by 2026-27.
- It will also cover the learning needs of children in the age group of 3 to 9 years.
How will it be implemented :
- A five - tier implementation mechanism will be set up at the National-State-District-Block-School level in all states and UTs, under the aegis of the centrally sponsored scheme of Samagra Shiksha.
Objectives and Expected Outcome of this initiative
- To ensure an inclusive classroom environment by incorporating plan discovery and activity based pedagogies.
- To ensure availability and effective usage of high-quality and culturally responsive teaching learning material in children's familar/home/mother languages.
- To focus on continuous capacity building of teachers, academic resource persons education administrators
- To ensure tracking of learning levels of all students.
- Children to achieve steeper learning trajectory which may have positive impacts on later life outcomes and employment.
- Holistic development of child by focusing on different domains of development like physical and motor development, coginitive development, life skills etc. which are interrelated and inter dependent, which will be reflected in a holistic progress card.
- Foundational skills enable to keep children in class thereby reducing the dropouts and improve transition rate from primary to upper primary and secondary stages.
Significance of this initiative
- Quality education is the bedrock of strong nation building and foundational education in literacy and numeracy skills is its core component. This will not only spur a big leap in their higher classes but it will also have a major impact in making student globally competitve.
- Hence NIPUN Bharat envisages making the experience of learning at the foundational stage Holistic, Integrated, Inclusive, Enjoyable and Engaging.