- On June 25, 2021, the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) has declared the list of India Smart Cities Awards 2020.
- The awards were declared on the day of the 6th anniversary to commemorate launch of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojna-Urban (PMAY), Atal Mission for Rejuvenation & Urban Transformation (AMRUT) and Smart Cities Mission.
India Smart Cities Awards 2020
- The awards were declared across the theme of –
- Some themes were added too this year for sustainable business of Integrated Command and Control Centres (ICCs) and Innovation award specially in COVID management.
Winners of the Award
- Indore (Madhya Pradesh) and Surat (Gujarat) won the award jointly for their overall development.
- Uttar Pradesh emerged on the top among all states, followed by Madhya Pradesh and Tamil Nadu under the Smart Citi Award, 2020.
- Chandigarh bagged the first award for union territories
Smart Cities Leadership Award:
- The SCM was launched by the Prime Minister of India on 25 June 2015.
- The main objective of the mission is to promote cities that provide core infrastructure, clean and sustainable environment and give a decent quality of life to their citizens through the application of smart solutions.
- The mission aims to drive economic growth and improve quality of life through comprehensive work on social, economic, physical and institutional pillars of the city.
- 100 cities have been selected to be developed as smart cities through a two-stage competition.
- It is a centrally sponsored scheme.
Physical Progress in SCM
- According to the centre, of the total proposed projects under the Smart Cities Mission, 5,924 projects (115% by number) worth Rs. 1,78,600 crore (87% by value) have been tendered so far.
- Whereas, work orders have been issued for 5,236 projects (101% by number) wroth Rs. 1,46,125 crore (71% by value).
- 2,665 projects (52% by number) worth Rs. 45,080 crore (22% by value) have also been fully completed and are operational (as on 23 June 2021).
Yogesh Kumar Singh