Why in News
On 13 July, 2021, NTPC to set up India’s single largest solar park at Rann of Kutch.
- The 4,750 MW solar part at Rann of Kutch in Gujarat will be set up by NTPC Renewable Energy Limited.
- NTPC will also generate green hydrogen on commercial scale.
- The project has been approved under mode 8 (Ultra Mega Renewable Energy Power Park) of Solar Park Scheme.
- NTPC Renewable Energy limited has also signed pact with Union Territory of Ladakh to set up green mobility project in region.
Solar Resource Rich States –
- India has huge potential in terms of solar power.
- State run companies including NTPC, plan to build massive green energy parks under UMREPP scheme.
- Solar resource rich states such as Jammu and Kashmir, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu and Telangana.
About Floating Solar plant
- Floating solar plant refers to a solar power production installation mounted on a structure that floats on a body of water, typically an artificial basin or a lake.