- On June 25, 2021 The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) organized an online event to commemorate 6 years (2015-2021) launch of PMAY-U, AMRUT & Smart Cities Mission.
- Three transformative Urban Missions are Smart Cities Mission (SCM), Atal Mission for Urban Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation [AMRUT] and Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Urban [PMAY-U].
The three Urban Mission viz-a-viz – SCM, AMRUT and PMAY-U were launched on 25 June 2015.
The objectives of these schemes were:
- These were part of a visionary agenda for urban rejuvenation.
- These were designed as part of a multilayer strategy to meet the aspirations of nearly 40% (31.2%; census 2011) of India’s population living in the cities.
KEY ACHIEVEMENTS of SEVERAL SCHEMES
Smart Cities Mission
- 70 cities have developed and operationalized Integrated Command and Control Centers (ICCCs) under Smart Cities Mission.
- These are being developed across all 100 Smart Cities of the country.
- 310 Smart Road Projects, and 57 smart solar projects completed.
- 101 Smart Water Projects have been completed.
- Total value of successful PPP projects: 212 PPP projects worth Rs. 24,964 crore have been grounded/completed stage in the Smart Cities Mission.
PMAY-U (Housing for All by 2022)
- 1.12 crore houses sanctioned and over 83 lakh houses grounded and more than 50 lakh completed under PMAY-U.
- 16 lakh families belonging to Economically Weaker Sections (EWS), Lower Income Group (LIG) and MIG benefitted from PMAYU’s Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS).
- Government investment under PMAY-U created around 689 crore person days of employment translating into around 246 lakh jobs.
- Affordable Rental Housing Complexes a sub-scheme under PMAY-U for urban migrants/poor has elicited remarkable response on ground.
- So far, 105 lakh household water tap connections and 78 lakh sewer connections provided under AMRUT Mission.
- 84.6 lakh tons carbon footprint reduced through various initiatives under AMRUT as per TERI.
- 88 lakh streetlights replaced with energy efficient LED lights leading to energy savings of 193 crore units.
- Credit rating work has been awarded for 485 cities and completed in 470 cities.
- 164 cities have received Investible Grade Rating (IGR) including 36 cities with rating of A or above.
- 10 ULBs namely Ahmedabad, Amravati Bhopal Ghaziabad, Hyderabad, Indore, Lucknow, Pune, Surat and Vishakhapatnam have revised Rs. 3,840 crore through issuance of municipal bonds.
No doubt these schemes have the neo-vision which seeks to improve the delivery of services in urban areas. But there is a need to change our behavioural & environment aspects to explore then in practice.