- On June 7, 2021 Defence Minister, Shri Rajnath Singh released an E-booklet titled ‘20 Reforms in 2020’.
- It highlights the major reforms undertaken by Ministry of Defence in 2020.
The Defence Minister, Shri Rajnath Singh termed the E-booklet as an important document on the bright future of the defence sector in the country. The compilation provides a brief overview of defence reforms in the year 2020 such as:
KEY HIGHLIGHTS OF REPORT:
Increased Defence Export
- India’s defence exports rose from Rs. 1,941 crores in 2014-15 to Rs. 9,116 crores in 2019-20. Also, for the first time, India figured in the list of defence equipment exporting nation, as the exports expanded to more than 84 countries.
- The post of CDS (Chief of Defence Staff) was created to increase efficiency and coordination among the Armed Forces. Whereas Department of Military Affairs (DMA) was established to ensure improved civil military integration.
Modernisation & Increased Transparency in Defence Acquisition
- Policy reforms for increased transparency included launch of new Defence Acquisition Procedure in September 2020 & revision of DRDO Procurement Manual in October 2020.
- First five Rafale fighter aircraft arrived in India in July 2020 & also several added. These equipments added firepower to the arsenal of Indian Air Force.
Reforming Defence Research and Development
- To promote innovation by young minds five young scientists laboratories of DRDO were launched in 2020 in Bengaluru, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata & Hyderabad.
- DRDO has joined hands with the private sector in design and development.
- It also identified 108 systems & subsystmes for the industry to design, develop and manufacture.
- Ministry of Defence gots digitalised in 2020. Directorate General Quality Assurance (DGQA) started online Pre-Delivery inspection in May, 2020 to address security threats.
- Armed Forces Tribunal began digital hearing for the first time in August 2020. Defence Estates, Canteen Stores Department, services in Cantonment, MoD Pension, NCC also went online.
Stree Shakti in Armed Forces
- In 2020, Ministry of Defence took some historic decisions to increase participation of women in the Armed Forces.
Reforms in NCC (National Cadet Corps)
- Decisions are made to give preference to NCC cadets in employment in Central Armed Police Forces from May 2020.
Strengthening border infrastructure
World’s longest Atal Tunnel built by BRO above 10,000 feet, at Rohtang on the Leh-Manali Highway inaugurated in October 2020.
Atma Nirbhar Bharat in Defence
To promote ‘Make in India’ in defence sector, a list of 101 defence items’ was notified in August 2020 for indigenous production rather than import. Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) developed a ventilator in record time to meet COVID-19 requirements in May 2020.
Ministry of Defence has transformed to a great extent to cope up with the upcoming challenges. Even the armed forces extended their helping hand to the countries in distress & led rescue operation to save humanity & securing national integrity intact.