WHY IN NEWS
- In June 2021, the draft Master Plan for Delhi (MPD) 2041, was placed in the public domain while inviting suggestions and objections from stakeholders.
- It focuses on affordable housing in-situ rehabilitation.
- A master plan is a dynamic long-term planning document that provides a conceptual layout to guide future growth and development.
- It assimilates analysis, recommendations, proposals keeping in mind the population economy housing, transportation, community facilities and land use.
- The draft of the Master Plan for Delhi 2041 came as the current master plane of Delhi is expired this year 2021.
ABOUT THE MASTER PLAN 2041 FOR DELHI
- It comprises two volumes and 22 chapters.
- It seeks to foster a sustainable, liveable and vibrant Delhi by 2041.
- It is one of the key instruments that will facilitate Delhi’s development.
- The first volume is an introduction. It provides an overview of Delhi in current times, its global and regional positioning estimates of population and projections for 2041.
- It presents a plan for the city for the next 20 years.
KEY TAKEWAYS OF THE MASTER PLAN 2041 FOR DELHI
- The increasing air pollution is one of the key concerns of the city. So this plan will address pollution and climate change by promoting clean economic activities and minimized vehicular pollution by creating multi-modal hubs.
- It states that polluting industries will not be operated within Delhi.
- It highlights the enhancement of ‘Green Blue Infrastructure’ by taking account of the Aravalli ridge, the Yamuna, Forest, Wetlands, Parks & other assets.
- The (Ghaziabad Development Authority) GDA policy is proposed for green belt villages & permits restricted development to maintain green-cover.
- Affordable housing and in situ rehabilitation of those living in slums and JJ clusters are outlined by the MPD 2041.
- A finer network of decentralized workspaces in the form of small warehousing for e-commerce, co-cooking spaces for startup economy shall be facilitated.
- The preservation of assets & their adaptive reuse must be promoted to prevent degradation & loss.
Transit oriented developments
- It will improve connectivity & transport infrastructure.
- It has the essence of making the capital ‘Walkable and cyclable.’
- It is to enable stakeholders to know the exact polices/provisions of the draft plan.
Therefore it is a plan to develop such infrastructure that are challenging & not dealt by the previous master plan. Hence it focuses on enhancing the environment with focus on preservation & enhancement of ecological heritage along with sustainable approach for mankind.