Union Minister for Food Processing Industries, Narendra Singh Tomar, on June 03, 2021 virtually inaugurated the Indus BestMega Food Park (CPC) at Raipur, Chhattisgarh.
WHY IT IS IMPORTANT
- M/S Indus Best Mega Food Park Pvt Ltd has been setup in 63.8 acres of land at a project cost of Rs. 145.5 crore.
- This Park will provide direct and indirect employment to about 5,000 persons and near 25,000 farmers in the Central Processing Centres (CPC) andPrimary Processing Centres (PPCs) catchment areas will also be benefitted.
- It will boost to the growth of the food processing sector in the state of Chhattisgarh.
ABOUT THE FOOD PARK
- Mega Food Park Scheme was launched in India since 2008 by Ministry of Food & Processing Industries.
OBJECTIVE BEHIND MEGA FOOD PARK
- Provide a mechanism to link
- Ensure maximizing values addition.
- Ensure minimizing wastages.
- Increase farmer’s income.
- Creating employment opportunities particularly in rural sector.
- Enhance shelf-life of perishable produces.
ADVANTAGES OF MEGA FOOD PARK
- The Mage Food Park will provide better price realization for farmers, excellent storage facility& will provide an alternate market for farmers in the region.
HOW IT WORKS?
- This scheme works on a cluster based approach based on a hub and spokes model.
INDIA’S CURRENT STATUS REGARDING MEGA FOOD PARK
As per Ministry of Food Processing Industries, the Mega Food Park project is implemented by a special purpose vehicle (SPV) which is a body corporate registered under the companies act.
So far following 22 Mega Food Parks are operational.
Some Mega Food Parks are given :
(1) Zoram Mega Food park, Kolasib Mizoram.
(2) Indus Mega Food Park, Khargaon, Madhya Pradesh
(3) Patanjali Food and Herbal Park, Haridwar, Uttarakhand
(4) Gujarat Agro Mega Food Park, Surat, Gujarat
WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE
- Provide efficient clearances to setup industry.
- Human resource development is also an attached initiative where training could be provided in collaboration with Agricultural universities.
- Provide Logistics support.
- Government’s good policy and remarkable initiatives like Pradhan Mantri Kisan SAMPADA Yojana.
Although Mega Food Park Scheme offers a mechanism to link agricultural production to the market but there is a need to the speedy implementation of the projects, providing capacity building, easing government clearances, coordination, allow grant in aid to make it works efficiently.