In August 2022,Teachers bodies in Haryana raised questions on the State government's newly launched scheme called Chief Minister Equal Education Relief, Assistance and Grant” (CHEERAG).
- Launched in : July 2022
- Launched by : School Education department of Haryana
- Objective : To provide free education to the Economically Weaker Section (EWS) students of government schools in private schools.
- Beneficiaries : Economically weak students of Haryana.
Key Highlights of the scheme
- Under the CHEERAG scheme, students of government schools can take admission in private schools from class 2 to 12.
- The maximum number of Students that may join the CHEERAG Yojana is 25,000.
- The government will reimburse Rs 700 per student from Classes II to V, Rs 900 per student from Classes VI to VIII, and Rs 1,100 per student from Classes IX to XII.
- The admissions under this scheme are in addition to the Right to Education (RTE) Act.
Instructions for the eligibility
- However, for this, the annual verified income of the parents will be less than Rs 1.8 lakh.
- Only those students will be eligible who have done their education in the last academic year from a government school.
- The scheme may be aimed at encouraging private schools at the cost of government schools. Although the scheme is optional but it shows a harsh reality that government schools still are suffering to achieve a benchmark that make parents to enroll their child in private schools.