Roads make a huge contribution to economic development, and bring important social benefits too. India has the second largest road network in the world of about 63.86 lakh Km. This comprises National Highways, Expressways, State Highways, District Roads, Rural Roads, Urban Roads and Project Roads.
About Bundelkhand Expressway
- Inaugurated on : July 16, 2022
- Inaugurated by : Narendra Modi Prime Minister of India
- Inaugurated at : Kaitheri village in Orai tehsil of Jalaun, Uttar Pradesh.
- It has been completed in record 28 months : 8 months ahead of its deadline.
- Bundelkhand Expressway is a 296.07 Km four-lane expressway.
- It has been constructed at a cost of around Rs 14,850 crores.
- It was constructed under the aegis of Uttar Pradesh Expressways Industrial Development Authority (UPEIDA).
- It can later be expanded up to six lanes as well.
- Starting Point : At Gonda village near Bharatkoop at the Jhansi-Prayagraj NH-35 in Chitrakoot district.
- End Point : Near Kudrail village in Etawah district, where it merges with the Agra-Lucknow expressway.
- Bundelkhand Expressway passes through seven districts, viz. Chitrakoot, Banda, Mahoba, Hamirpur, Jalaun, Auraiya and Etawah.
Significance of Bundelkhand Expressway
- It will boost the economic activity of Bundelkhand region.
- Area covered under the project will be economically and socially developed as well as enhancement in agriculture, commerce, tourism, and industrial income will also be experienced.
- Opportunities will be available for establishment of Industrial Training Institutes, Teaching and Training Institutes and Medical Institutes, etc. near expressway.
- Expressway will act as a catalyst for establishment of Handloom industry, food processing units, storages, market, and Milk-based industries.