- On June 7, 2022, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has released the 4th State Food Safety Index (SFSI) 2021-22.
- The first SFSI was published in 2018-19 with the aim of creating a competitive and positive change in the food safety ecosystem in the country.
Parameters of SFSI
- The index measures the performance of States across five parameters of food safety. These are
Key Findings of the SFSI 2021-22
- Tamil Nadu is the top-ranking state among the large states, followed by Gujarat and Maharashtra.
- Goa is the top-ranking state among the small states, followed by Manipur and Sikkim.
- Jammu & Kashmir is the top-ranking UT among the UTs, followed by Delhi and Chandigarh.
Ranking of States/UTs
Ranking of Large States in SFSI 2021-22
Ranking of Small States
Ranking of Union Territories
About the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI)
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has been established under Food Safety and Standards , 2006 which consolidates various acts & orders that have hitherto handled food related issues in various Ministries and Departments.
- FSSAI has been created for laying down science based standards for articles of food and to regulate their manufacture, storage, distribution, sale and import to ensure availability of safe and wholesome food for human consumption.
- Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India is the Administrative Ministry for the implementation of FSSAI.
- The Chairperson and Chief Executive Officer of Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) have been appointed by Government of India.
- The Chairperson is in the rank of Secretary to Government of India.