- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has released the third instalment of its Sixth Assessment Report (AR6) on April 3, 2022.
IPCC's Assessment Reports
- With its mandate of comprehensive evaluations of the state of the earth's climate IPCC released its first assessment Report in 1990.
- The four subsequent assessment reports come out in 1995, 2001, 2007 and 2015
- These reports are made with contributions of thousands of climate scientists and other subject matter experts from all around the globe.
- These reports form the basis of global response to climate change.
Key Findings of Recently Released part III of 6th Assessment Report
Green House Gas (GHG) Emissions
- 54% higher in 2019 from 1990
- Growth is slowing
- 59 gigatonnes of CO2 equivalent global net anthropogenic GHG emissions in 2019
- Growth mainly due to CO2 emissions from industry & fossil fuels.
- The Sixth Assessment Report, has presented lots of evidence to suggest that pursuing a 2oC target could be disastrous, and more ambitious actions need to be taken to keep the temperature rise within 1.5oC.