- On May 4, 2022, Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting has announced that India will be the official Country of Honour at the upcoming Marche’ Du Film, organized alongside the 75th edition of Cannes Film Festival, in France.
- It is the first time the Marché du Film has an official Country of Honour, and this special focus will continue annually with different nations in the spotlight at future editions.
- France and India are marking 75 years of their diplomatic ties this year.
- The Country of Honour Status ensured India’s presence as Focus Country at the Opening Night of Marche Du Films being organised at the Majestic Beach with spotlight on India, its cinema, its culture & heritage.
- India is also a “Country of Honour at the Cannes Next, under which 5 new Start Ups would be given an opportunity to pitch to the Audio-Visual Industry.
- The World Premier of the Movie “Rocketry” produced by Shri. R. Madhavan, presented at Cannes Film Festival.
- India has been given an opportunity to pitch 5 selected movies at the “Goes to Cannes Section”. These movies are part of the Work In Progress lab under the Film Bazaar :
1. Baghjan by Jaicheng Zxai Dohutia - Assamese, Moran
2. Bailadila by Shailendra Sahu - Hindi, Chhattisgarhi
3. Ek Jagah Apni (A Space of Our Own) by Ektara Collective - Hindi
4. Follower by Harshad Nalawade - Marathi, Kannada, Hindi
5. Shivamma by Jai Shankar - Kannada
- India’s celebration of centenary of Satyajit Ray continues at Cannes as a remastered classic of Satyajit Ray classic - Pratidwandi will be screened at the Cannes Classic section Cinéma de la plage.
- The pavilion will have the sole focus of branding India as “Content Hub of the World”.
About Cannes Film Festival:
- Cannes film festival, official name Festival de Cannes, film festival held annually in Cannes, France.
- First held in 1946 for the recognition of artistic achievement, the festival came to provide a rendezvous for those interested in the art and influence of the movies.
- Like other film festivals, it became an international marketplace where producers and distributors could exchange ideas, view films, and sign contracts.