Why in news
- India has scored 90.32% in United Nation's Economic and Social Commission for Asia Pacific (UNESCAP) Global Survey on Digital and Sustainable Trade Facilitation Launched on 23 July, 2021.
- India has scored 90.32% in UNESCAP Latest Global Survey on Digital and Sustionable Trade Facilitation. The survey hails this as remarkable jump from 78.49% in 2019.
Key point :
After evaluation of 143 economies, the 2021 Survey has highlighted India's significant improvement in the scors on all 5 key indicators
Comparision with other country
- The survey notes that India is best performing country when companed to south and south west Asia region (63.12%) and Asia-pacific region (65.85%)
- The overall performance of India has also been found to greaten than many OECD countries like france, UK, Canada, norway, finland etc.
- Overall score is greaten than the avarage of score of EU.
- India has achieved a 66% score in the 'women in trade' component.
About Survey :
- The Survey is conducted every two years by UNESCAP and The 2021 survey includes an assessment of 58 trade facilitation measures covered by WTO's Trade Facilitation Agreement.
- The measures include risk management, publications of existing import-export subs on internet, advance ruling on tarrif classification, independent appeal mechanism etc.
- ICEDASH - The Ministry of Finance has launched ICEDASH for improved monitoring of customs clearance of Imported goods
- ATITH - for facilitating arriving intennational passengers
- Turant Customs - It is a secure QR coded shipping bill that would be electronically sent to exporters unveiled by Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC)
- Despite that India set up a National Committee on Trade Facilitations (NCTE) To facilitate both domestic cordination and implementation of provisions under chairmanship of cabinent secretary
- In order to optimize gains of Trade facilitation, National Trade Facilitation Action plan for 2017-20 was prepared aligned with WTO Trade Facilitation Agreement
- Establishment of a National Single Window System.
- Paperless filing of import/export documents through E-sanchit project.